Round-up: FA Cup 2nd Round

The FA Cup reminded us of its magic once again as six FAWNL Division One sides – more than half of games played – upset higher-ranked opposition in Sunday’s FA Cup Second Round.

Actonians avenged an FA WNL Cup loss to Wasps by knocking out the high-flying Southern Premier side of the FA Cup in impressive fashion.

The hosts struck first through Ale Barreca before being pegged back in the 44th minute by Naomi Cole. Actonians regained the lead from the spot, once again through Barreca, and Meila D’Santos added a third in the 82nd minute to send the Division One South East side through to the Third Round for the first time in their history.

Full-time: Actonians 3-1 Crawley Wasps

Southampton Women’s FC progress after nail-biting penalty shootout.

With neither side able to break the deadlock over the course of 90 minutes, the match entered extra-time. MK Dons took the lead during the first half, before Lauren Cheshire scored a stunning free-kick to level things up. At 1-1, the game had to be decided from the spot; the heroics of shot-stopper, Rose Kite, and cool head of Erin Bloomfield helping Southampton seal the win.

Full-time: Southampton Women’s 1-1 MK Dons (AET)
(Southampton Women’s won 3-2 on pens)

Barnsley put four past Sheffield FC to progress to the next round.

Kathryn Smith and in-form Laura Bartup struck before half-time, with Bartup adding two more after the break to complete her hat-trick – the strikers’ 7th goal in as many since joining The Reds – and round off a comfortable 4-0 victory.

Full-time: Barnsley 4-0 Sheffield FC

Plymouth beat Oxford United in a seven-goal thriller at Court Place Farm.

The Pilgrims led 2-0 before being pegged back to 2-2, resulting in extra-time. Gemma Sims gave the U’s an early lead, but goals from Helen Bleazard and a 119th-minute winner from Kayley Lane provided another twist to send the Devonshire side through.

Full-time: Oxford United 3-4 Plymouth Argyle (AET)

Billericay through as Division One East side upset Gills.

Therese Addison found the net from 30 yards to give ‘ricay the lead, which only lasted a matter of minutes after Alice Bussey slotted home to restore parity for the Southern Premier side. Goalscorer turned supplier in the 68th minute as Lindsey Morgan headed Addison’s corner through a crowded area to the find the net to make it 2-1.

Full-time: Billericay 2-1 Gillingham

Ipswich continued their impressive season by dispatching of Chichester City in dominant style.

Tractors Girls’ Cooper, Crump, Peake, and Thomas all found the net in the opening 45 minutes to put Ipswich in firm control of the tie, with Peskett and Thomas completing the scoring in the second half.

Full-time: Chichester City 0-6 Ipswich Town

Watford overcame Keynsham to secure a place in the Third Round.

O’Leary broke the deadlock just after the hour mark before Carid doubled the Golden Girls’ lead minutes later. Substitute Stojko-Down put the result beyond doubt in added time, the defender finishing spectacularly from 20 yards to make it eight wins in a row.

Full-time: Keynsham Town 0-3 Watford

Southampton FC completed a back-to-back cup double over Yeovil, beating the Glovers 5-4 on penalties, to progress.

Still yet to taste defeat this season, Alisha Ware gave the visitors the lead in the 62nd minute; captain Annie Heatherson equalising moments before the final whistle, leading to extra-time. With the two sides unable to be separated after the additional 30 minutes, the game had to be decided by penalties, saints scoring five out of five to knock Yeovil out of the FA Cup.

Full-Time: Yeovil Town-1 Southampton FC (AET)
(Southampton FC won 4-5 on pens)

Nottingham Forest earned derby day bragging rights after late winner.

The visitors scored twice within the opening 16 minutes, but couldn’t hold onto the lead, with Derby responding 11 minutes later and equalising shortly after the break. With the game looking like it was headed to extra-time, Precious Hamiliton proved to be the difference-maker, netting the winner in the 86th minute to help Andy Cook’s side progress to the next round.

Full-time: Derby County 2-3 Nottingham Forest

Fylde progress after hard-fought contest.

Emily Hollingshead fired Fylde ahead after three minutes, in what would turn out to be the deciding goal of the game in a hard-fought contest with the Division One Midlands leaders. As well as progress to the next round, Fylde managed to do what no other team has done this season – stop Wolves from scoring.

Full-time: Wolves 0-1 Fylde

Cardiff put fix past Southern Premier rivals to ease into the next round.

Despite starting with only 10 players, the opening 45 minutes were closely contested; an unfortunate own goal giving the visitors a 1-0 lead at the interval. The second half was a different story, however, with Cori Williams scoring four within the opening 25 minutes and Josie Longhurst adding a sixth as Cardiff ran out comfortable winners.

Full-time: Hounslow 0-6 Cardiff City


Categories: ROUND-UPS

%d bloggers like this: